Saturday, November 24, 2007

The biggest Myth about New Orleans

The biggest myth filtering through the media is that there are no jobs here since Katrina hit 2 years ago. Well, I have worked here for over 7 years now. Before Katrina there was a lot of competition in my field, I am a steward working for a catering company that serves the off shore oil and gas industry, and our jobs were plentiful and with plenty of people to fill them. This meant our salaries were among the lowest in the oil industry. Since Katrina I have seen my salary grow by over 45%. After Katrina hit, the oil and gas industry exploded with more work than there were people. This explosion is still going on today. My company, as well as most of the construction and service companies down here are begging for help. Many are still getting a large part of their work force from the prison release system where inmates that are about to get out of prison go and work. These companies are begging for help to this day. My own company recently told me that I could not have time off work because there was not a relief steward available. So before believing the myths that people can't find jobs here and giving to "help the poor victims because there are no jobs here" do your homework and put your donation to something that will actually be a benefit to someone.

No comments: